My Reading list

Anna's bookshelf: read

The Sorcerer's Concubine
Glass Sword
Red Queen
The Kill Order
Sinful Cinderella
Freeks
Caraval
The Fault in Our Stars
Red Mark
Eighth Grade Bites
What's Left of Me
Once Bitten
Through the Ever Night
Days of Blood & Starlight
The Sea of Monsters
Fairest
The Lightning Thief
The White Aura
Scarlet
Twilight


Anna Engelman's favorite books »

1/10/19

The Sorcerer's Concubine by Jaclyn Dolamore

The Sorcerer's Concubine

by Jaclyn Dolamore

 

Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This Review will contain **spoilers**

This is an adult book!! Sexual Scenes

This review is going to be greatly different then my previous reviews.

I originally found this book for free on Amazon, when it was available for a short while, and I thought the cover looked pretty. No I didn't read anything about it before I got it and started reading it. 

I have to say though that I liked the story overall. I can't say that Velsa was easy to relate to, since she is a fanarlem, in simple terms, a realistic doll brought to life with magic for many uses. A fanarlem is taught, as is the rest of the world, that their soul is damaged or in need of redemption, but not everyone believes it. Velsa is a telepath, so she has to wear a gold band on her neck to hold her powers, and is 2 weeks after becoming an adult , and is bought by Grau, the sorcerer.

From that point on the story goes a bit faster, from traveling, to finding stolen land, to making it home. Meeting her new master's family, and going to a dance, she has sex for the first time and falls in love. She ends up meeting other fanarlem that aren't concubines, just regular slaves, and they aren't describe in detail aside from creepy and scary. Then it's back to traveling, finding a Miralem to read that Velsa's soul isn't damaged beyond what happens when the soul is put into a fanarlem. They make it to Grau's final destination, a solider camp where he's supposed to be the sorcerer. 

Things slow down for a little bit, and you meet Sibalora, more often called Flower, another fanarlem who flitted throughout the men because that's what her master has her do. When Velsa is doing things that Flower isn't allowed to she acts out by hurting Velsa, and by breaking things Velsa likes. They get attacked by Miralem bandits and Velsa overcomes her gold band to use her telepathy on the Miralem telepath, making it so they could catch her. Instead of killing her they put Velsa's gold band around her neck, blocking her powers. They go back and put a new band on Velsa's neck. Some time later she goes after Velsa and aims to really hurt her by throwing her in the river.


I'm purposefully skipping a large part of the story, so you would have to read to find anything out about after this. A few more spoilers ahead about a part of the story I am not mention in this part.

I'm truthfully curious about the dragon, it only made a small appearance in the book, and is pretty set on getting the person that put the gold band on his friend. So is he a Miralem? Or do the bandits just talk to the dragons.

There is sex multiple times throughout the book, plus reference to an LGBT+ character, along with a few other recurring characters.

I think the second book wouldn't be a bad thing to buy, and I may just do that. If I do, keep an eye out for that review

But overall, I do suggest this book, I'm not sure if the author plans on offering it up for free again anytime in the future, but I would keep an eye out for it.


You can find the book on amazon The Sorcerer's Concubine by Jaclyn Dolamore

No comments:

Post a Comment